Tuesday 27 January 2009


Maybe I should talk a bit about why I work the way I do.
It's all process driven rather than by an abstract concept. The actual processes involved take quite a while to work through, with several variations along the route to finding the answer. Some of these textile processes I've learned, others are adapted from different disciplines. Usually, there isin't a correct way to attempt an idea's visualisation, you just have to try it and see what comes.
With this body of work, spanning several years, there have been many dead ends where I just became bogged down with no where to go. Being alert to possibilities helps, not knowing where solutions come from or when to expect them.
I do keep a running sketchbook as a documentation of all the work's progress; I forget things :)
It's also good as a teaching tool as well as almost speaking for itself. In a fire, I'd grab it before my laptop...........well...............almost.
So why do it?
Curiosity. That burning question.............I wonder what happens if I.....................?
Makes for dull company unless you happen to be driven too.
I wouldn't change any of it and would do it all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment