Tuesday 10 February 2009

installation








It's a beautiful building here at Taigh Chearsabhagh, very old, the sea laps the walls at high tide and the wind is constant.
For interesting background reading, go to the website
http://www.taigh-chearsabhagh.org.uk/
This is how we started. Andy MacKinnon, the Arts Officer, spent most of the week up scaffolding, suspending fine nylon threads, about 100 of them! I spent the week up a ladder, attaching the small silks, changing my mind, getting stiff shoulders. Took most of the week to finish.
I ran a couple of really interesting workshops with over 60's and primary 7 pupils from local schools, focusing on my inspirational sources of seaweed. They collaborated well, no fisty cuffs at all and produced beautiful artwork which hopefully will encourage them to go and look more closely at their own shorelines on Uist. My more than able assistant was Sarah MacIntyre. She runs children's workshops regularly at Taigh Chearsabhagh. I'm not sure what her correct title is; Education Officer probably. I hope her cold has gone, she bravely faced the freezing temperatures all week and was really supportive. Thanks Sarah :)

No comments:

Post a Comment